Translate

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Promise to a Hurricane

The 10th Anniversary of Hurricane Juan was a few days ago.  I thought I would share this article I wrote about it several months later.  

Promise to a Hurricane

September 28, 2003 began like any other Sunday in Dartmouth, NS.  There was not much on the agenda for the day, so I was taking the opportunity for a welcomed break.  But by mid-afternoon that all changed.  We received a phone call from my father-in-law, a retired meteorologist.  He checked the weather forecast for the day and saw that a hurricane; Hurricane Juan; was headed right for us.

We spent the next couple of hours putting away all our patio furniture, barbeque, and lawn ornaments, making sure that all was secure when the hurricane hit.  Finally we were satisfied all was safe in our yard, but then we wondered about our neighbors.  No one else seemed to be aware of the impending storm, no one else was hurrying to put away their lawn furniture and accessories.

Later that night the winds started to pick up.  We watched the reports on the local television stations, and waited for the storm to come.  And it did.  Just after midnight the winds really started to blow and howl hard.  My bedroom window was open and I began to hear wood splintering.  Since our backyard is all trees, I was worried a tree would crash in through our bedroom window.  I began to worry and I didn't feel safe at all. 

Then I had an idea.  I decided that I would journey to the Eye of the Hurricane and ask to keep us safe.  So, I did just that.  As I lay in bed, I imagined a drumming sound to put me in the journey state.  I went to the Lower World and asked my helping Weather Spirits to take me to the Eye of the Hurricane.  What an amazing feeling that was!  So much wind and turmoil but so much peace and tranquility at the same time.

I spoke to the hurricane.  I asked the hurricane to keep us safe.  Then I thought about my neighbors and asked to keep them safe.  Then I thought about my entire street, I can’t just ask for us and our immediate neighbors, I have to ask for the safety of the entire street.  So, I did just that.  But, I felt the hurricane would want something in return.  So, I made a bargain.

I promised that if the hurricane kept us safe, I would never speak negatively of the hurricane.  Suddenly, I heard a large booming voice say “YOU WILL BE PROTECTED”.  This large booming voice startled me, but I felt comforted.  I then tried to fall asleep as the storm passed.

The next morning, my husband got up and left for work.  Since the power was still out from the hurricane passing through, we could not hear the reports on the radio.  About 20 minutes later he came bursting through the door saying ”You've got to come out and see this!”    He explained he couldn't get to work because the roads were blocked by downed trees.

We walked down the street and met up with some neighbors.  As we walked along, we were amazed to see all the trees that fell, but no property was damaged!  Two vehicles had trees on them, but they were not damaged in any way.  Another neighbor had a tree fall against the deck on the back of the house, but the deck was not damaged.  Lots of trees were down, but they just lay across yards, and the street.  We were amazed!

A couple of weeks later, the Point Pleasant Park was opened to the public for one weekend.  The park was closed due to the amount of devastation caused by the hurricane.  Huge sections of the park were destroyed.  As we walked through the park, we could hear other peoples comments, hear their sadness and see them crying.    It was very difficult to walk through and see the extent of the damage.

It bothered me so much that when we got home, I had to journey to the trees.  I was very surprised by their words to me!  The trees told me not to be sad for them since they were not sad.  They had a good long life, and to them, this is just a part of the life cycle.  They knew this would happen and that was okay as it helps create more life.  Those words really impacted me and I have not been sad since.

Over the next few months, I talked to a lot of people who were affected by the storm.  I worked as an insurance broker at the time and for two months straight, I talked to people who had damage of one sort or another.  However, with all the people I talked to, I noticed a common comment made by almost everyone.  “It was amazing, with all the trees that fell, none fell across the house.  They fell all around the house!” 

It was several months before I realized that the booming words I heard from the hurricane “YOU WILL BE PROTECTED” that night, did not just apply to me, but to everyone! 

I saw a lot of good things come from this hurricane.  I saw any trades person who needed work had it for at least six months or more.  I saw families spend time together playing games since the TV could not be turned on or computer games played as the power was out from 3 to 7 days.  I saw neighbors come together and have street barbeques to use up food so it wouldn't spoil. 

Yes, some people did have more serious damage, and yes a few lives were lost due to the hurricane or as a result of the hurricane.  That cannot be overlooked however; the overall greater good also cannot be ignored!

So, in keeping with my promise, this hurricane was amazing!!!

Angela Jeffreys
Copyright - 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment